Palmer Moving Guide
Your Palmer Coordinator will arrange for an estimator to make a visual in-home survey. Advise your Palmer Coordinator of any changes in your household belongings between the time a sales representative visits your home and a week before loading date. Adding or subtracting of weight on the day of loading could result in capacity problems, which can cause long delays. Depending on your company’s relocation policy you could also incur COD charges.
Moving Reservations and Arrangements
If you live in an apartment building there are certain arrangements that you may need to make in advance of the move. It is your responsibility to contact your building supervisor regarding the specific procedures for your building.
These arrangements may include, but are not limited to:
- Reserving elevators
- Obtaining parking permits for the moving van
- Certificates of Insurance/Property Management
- Hazardous Materials
Movers are forbidden by law to ship or store hazardous materials. We recommend you either give them away or arrange other means of transporting items including the following:
Aerosol cans, fire extinguishers, engine starting fluid, welding gas, butane, propane tanks (effective 1/1/01)
Alcohol, antifreeze, camphor oils, disinfectant cleaners
Drain cleaners, photographic acids, wet cell batteries, etching acid, iron/steel rust preventing compound, muriatic, nitric/sulfuric acids
Matches, black powder, ammunition, fireworks of any kind, dynamite or plastic explosives (including toy caps), flashbulbs, primers
Adhesives, ammonia, charcoal lighter fluid, weed killers, bleach, gasoline, paints, varnish, inks and dyes
No Liability Items
It’s best if you transport certain belongings yourself or speak with your Palmer coordinator to determine alternative arrangements for the following items:
- Frozen or Perishable Food
- Stamp, Coin Collections
- Baseball Cards
- Computer Backup Disks
- Software Licenses
- Important Documents
- Securities, Stocks & Bonds
- Cell phones, MP3 players and handheld game systems and games
You may want to keep the following paperwork with you during the move:
- Birth Certificates
- Real Estate Documents
- Insurance Policies
- School Records
- Personal Photographs
- Tax Records
- Medical and Dental Records
- Bank/Credit union paperwork
High Value Items
Any household item that is worth $100.00 per pound requires a High Value Inventory filled out and signed by you prior to load. It is imperative that the driver receives it. Items that generally fall under this category are:
- Fine China
- Objects of Art
- Appraised Antiques
ITEMS THAT NEED SPECIAL CONSIDERATION
It is generally recommended that plants not be shipped in the truck with your household goods. Most plants will not survive the move so it is best to give them away prior to the move or transport them yourself to your new home. Most drivers will refuse to ship any plant because of the possibility of insect infestation of your goods or those of others loaded on the same truck.
Firearms can be shipped on the truck with your household goods. With the enactment of the Brady Bill in 1994, however, there are some regulations regarding the shipping of firearms:
- Ammunition must be removed from the firearm and cannot be shipped
- Drivers must sign for all guns and note the makes, models, and serial numbers
- Boxes containing firearms cannot be labeled as such – but will be noted on the inventory.
- Boxes containing these firearms must be unpacked at the time of delivery. Firearms will be released to the registered owner only. (Signature required).
Frozen or refrigerated food items are highly perishable and cannot be shipped with your household goods. Leaving food in the freezer or refrigerator during transit (regardless of distance) can cause permanent damage and/or odors. It is best to consume or give away any frozen food items prior to your move.
Moving Your Appliances
Your Palmer Coordinator will arrange to have your appliances serviced according to your company’s policy. Be sure you understand how the service technician secured these appliances for transportation, i.e., was washer tub Styrofoam blocked or bolted? If you need a service that is not authorized by your corporate policy, your Palmer Coordinator can arrange for the service, however, the cost will be collected COD from you. Please check with you coordinator for what services are approved with appliances at origin and destination.
Please make sure your destination residence is equipped with the appropriate power source or lines for reconnection.
Following is a list of normal appliances and servicing they require:
- Refrigerators/Freezers: You are responsible for disconnecting, defrosting, and cleaning the units prior to the arrival of the movers or third party service company. Be sure to empty the evaporation pan and to drain the water reservoir of the automatic ice maker. If possible, you should also leave the door open for 24 hours prior to loading to allow for moisture to dry. If your refrigerator has an automatic ice maker, your Palmer Coordinator will arrange for servicing and discuss whether or not your company’s policy covers this service.
- Washing Machines: Please make sure to leave the lid of the washer open for 24 hours prior to loading to allow for inside to dry.
- Dryers: Please make sure the dryer is free of lint and that the interior is dry.
- Ranges/Stoves: You are responsible for making sure the stove is clean and that all pots and pans have been removed before packers arrive.
- Electronic Equipment: We prefer to use the original cartons for your electronic equipment when we pack. If you no longer have the cartons, the packers will provide cartons and paper to pack the items. It is your responsibility to disconnect and tape up the wires of all electronic equipment. (i.e., computers, TV-VCR, stereos)
MOVING AUTOS, BOATS AND CAMPERS
When transporting an auto, boat or camper separately from your Household Goods, the following guidelines need be followed:
- Have the vehicle ready for pick up. All removable items need to be taken out. Secure necessary items (spare, jack, etc) to prevent damage. Have a spare key for the driver.
- There will be an inspection before transit and at delivery. EXCEPTIONS NEED TO BE TAKEN AT DELIVERY AND MUST BE CALLED IN TO THE CARRIER WITHIN 24 HOURS FROM DELIVERY. CONCEALED DAMAGE MUST ALSO BE CALLED IN WITHIN 24 HOURS OF DELIVERY. DO NOT ARRANGE FOR DELIVERY IF YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME FOR INSPECTION.
- Please provide a phone number where you can be reached during the Day of pick up and delivery.
We also suggest you take the following steps to prepare items for moving:
- Pre-pack all items that you are taking with you in transit. Mark these items and keep them in a separate area.
- When moving your personal computer, park the hard disk using the program that’s typically included on the diagnostic diskette. Toprotect the floppy disk drive, place a blank disk in the drive and close it. Always remember to back up important files.
- When moving CD player or computer CD-ROM, check the manuals for directions on securing the laser. Note that heat can warp compact discs.
- Remove ink cartridges from printers
- Plasma TV’s are not recommended for storage periods exceeding two months.
- Try to avoid putting electronic equipment, record collections, or CD’s in storage for long periods of time in extreme heat.
- Gas grills and barbecue grills that use coals should be cleaned out the day before the packers arrive.
- Lawn mowers and other gasoline engines must be emptied of oil and gas. Also, gas cans should be washed out to prevent fumes from damaging transported goods.
- Any item that is permanently affixed to the walls or ceilings must be taken down prior to packing, unless your company has authorized the service to be performed by a third party company.
- Items in the attic must be brought down by you prior to packing unless your company has authorized the charges for this service to be performed by the moving company.
- Make sure to remove shower curtain(s) and dry them thoroughly for packing.
- Disassembly and reassembly of swing sets, sky forts, storage sheds and other items of a similar nature are often not covered by your company. Please discuss arrangements with your Palmer Coordinator. Palmer does not recommend disassembly of wooden playscapes during freezing weather due to the high risk of permanent damage.
Other Items of Consideration
We recommend that you discuss these items with you Palmer Coordinator:
- Air Conditioners
- Bunk Beds
- Entertainment Centers
- Satellite Dishes
- Swing Sets
- Water Softener
- Curtain Rods and Valances
- Air Purifiers
- Ceiling Fans
- Pool Tables
- Hot Tubs
- Pendulum Clocks
- Window Blinds
PARTIAL OR SPLIT DELIVERIES
If You Will Need Partial or Split Deliveries
Partial or split deliveries can be provided to the destination metropolitan area, if authorized by your corporate relocation policy, otherwise the cost incurred is your responsibility.
If your shipment requires partial delivery to a location other than your destination address it is your responsibility to:
- Provide your Palmer Coordinator with the address(es), contact person and phone numbers.
- Advise the packers and the driver of the specific items that will be part of the split delivery for a separate inventory for destination.
- Complete the inventory checklist upon delivery as your items are unloaded.
- Most corporations do not cover the cost of the move from temporary residence to permanent residence.
Listed below are some helpful preparation tips for you to prepare for your packing day:
- We ask that you are available at 8:00 am. Plan on being available for up to 8-10 hours each day. You will receive a call the day before to advise the crew’s estimated time of arrival.
- Detach any items that are attached to the walls. For example: drapery rods, towel bars, etc. The packers will remove pictures from the wall and pack them.
- Remove sheets and blankets from all beds. (This may be done on loading day if you will remain overnight).
- Dispose of all flammable items.
- Remove all liquid and fragile items from dresser drawers.
- Wash out garbage cans and grills.
- Disconnect all water hoses and drain them.
- Empty refrigerator of all contents. If your household goods are going into storage, we suggest placing baking soda, activated charcoal or fresh coffee grounds placed in an old stocking which will help to eliminate moisture.
- Separate items that you will be taking with you and place them in a designated area to prevent them from being packed.
- It is recommended that you have all of you items professionally packed by Palmer north American. Self-packed cartons are only insured if there is exterior damage to the carton.
On Packing Day
As packers arrive at your home on packing day, they will begin packing in different parts of your home. Typically, packers will pack items in an individual room and mark boxes accordingly.
Your packing crew will have a form for you to sign at the end of the day. It will be an itemized list of the boxes that were packed for you. Please review this list and if there are any questions or concerns, please ask the lead crew member at that time.
If you have any questions or concerns during this part of you move, please do not hesitate to contact your Palmer Coordinator. The toll-free number is 866-938-4457
Loading for Your Move
It is very important that you be present on your loading day to oversee the entire process. If you cannot be present, you need to authorize for someone else to represent you.
On loading day, you or your authorized representative are responsible for the following:
- Review the inventory information provided by the driver and ensure that you agree with their notations before signing the paperwork.
- Do final walk-through of the residence – inside and out – to make sure all items have been loaded and identify any new property damage.
- Confirm all destination information with the driver and your Palmer Coordinator. Provide them with your destination phone number, if you have not done so already.
- Confirm estimated date of delivery.
- Review and sign the Bill of Lading with the terms and conditions of your company’s relocation policy.
- We recommend you work with the driver to collect and establish where hardware from disassembled furniture will be placed for transit and reassembly.
- Please be sure to contact your Palmer Coordinator at any time if you have any questions, or when questionable situations arise regarding policy or procedures. The toll-free number is 866-938-4457.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
Before You Leave for Your New Home
Be sure to contact your Palmer Coordinator with destination information including phone numbers where you can be reached and your location.
Pack a phone in your suitcase to connect as soon as you arrive at our destination.
Make a final inspection to be sure nothing is left behind – check all closets, beneath sinks, medicine cabinets, inside the dishwasher, etc.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Anything that was disassembled by the driver at origin will be reassembled at destination.
- Your household goods will also be placed in their proper rooms.
- You are responsible for checking off items, as they are unloaded.
- You are responsible for checking off items as they are unloaded. You must complete the inventory check-off sheet. Any missing items must be noted at the time of delivery otherwise, claims regarding the missing items will be denied.
- If you find any damaged or missing items, inform the driver immediately so he or she can note it on the inventory.
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU CHECK OFF THE ITEMS AS THEY ARE DELIVERED.
If your company authorizes unpacking services, this will be done the following business day after delivery. The unpackers will unwrap all items and lay them on a flat surface in the appropriate room for you to sort. They will also remove all packing debris when they leave for the day. Unpackers are not authorized to organize or put your belongings away.
If you are interested in receiving this service, you will need to inform your Palmer Coordinator one week prior to delivery so your crew will be properly prepared.
If your company authorizes debris removal as a substitute to unpacking, we can arrange for a local agent to remove all boxes and paper from the destination residence. Cartons must be broken down and kept dry and the crew will not remove any household trash.
Again, please be sure to contact your Palmer Coordinator at any time if you have any questions or concerns. The toll-free number is 866-938-4457.
In the event you have a claim, North American Van Lines will attempt to settle your claim fairly and promptly. If there is a claim, here are the steps that should be followed:
1. You are responsible for working with the driver to make notations as to any loss or damage sustained on the check off/inventory sheet.
2. In the event there is damage or loss, contact your Palmer Coordinator to initiate the claim process.
3. Should you discover damage after the driver has left, save the shipping carton and do not unpack the damaged item any further?
4. Once you have received the claim forms, fill them out completely including:
- Description of the article
- Nature and extent of damage
- Approximate weight of article
- Approximate date item was purchased
- Original Cost
- Cost of repair or replacement, if known
5. Return the claim form in the enclosed pre-stamped envelope. The law states that you have 9 months on an interstate move and 30 days on an intrastate move. Some accounts may have strick timelines for submitting claims so please check with your coordinator. We recommend you submit the form as soon as possible after delivery. Make sure you keep a copy for your records.
If you are planning on moving your household belongings again, you need to have any pre-existing claim forms filed in order for your claim to be processed correctly.
Following the completion of your move, you will receive a Quality Assurance Survey to complete and return to Palmer.
The information you provide is the means by which your company and Palmer north American use to properly evaluate the conditions and components of all phases of your relocation. Your feedback is essential to ensure our quality services continues and improves when needed. This promises the continuation of quality moving services for your company and its employees.
Your response is important, as it provides valuable information directed toward the continual strengthening of Palmer north Americans relocation program. Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.
You may return to the previous page by using the Back button in your browser